Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Chocolate Heart House Bunting



Did you see my Happy Heart House Bunting?  Well, here's another take on that.  It was inspired by Valentine's Day chocolate.



and also inspired by a little Gingerbread crochet house that I found when I was looking for a way to add snow to the roof of my happy heart house bunting.  In the gingerbread inspiration house, Ursula makes an ornament.  It's single thickness and doesn't have the final edging of single crochets around the outside that mine does.  She also uses a different pattern to make the little red heart on the front of hers.  But, nonetheless great minds think alike, right? I've made my chocolate bunting the same size as hers as we both came up with basically the same house pattern and I liked the size of her gingerbread version.

I'm calling mine:  Chocolate Heart House Bunting and it's a baby version of the "Happy" one.  I've made a photo tutorial and also have typed up the pattern so you can follow it exactly as I made mine if you so choose.  Here goes:

This pattern uses American Crochet Terms
Yarn used: Knit Picks Dishie 100% cotton yarn (light worsted/~dk); size G/6 - 4.25mm hook
also white carpet warp and a size C crochet hook

Row 1: To begin, make a slip knot and chain 9, turn.

Row 2: sc in each stitch (8 stitches), ch 1, turn.

Row 3 - 8; Repeat Row 2.



Row 9: sc2tog, 4sc, sc2tog, ch1, turn.

Row 10: sc2tog, 2sc, sc2tog, ch1, turn.

Row 11: sc2tog twice, ch 1, turn.


The basic house is now constructed.  Next, single crochet around the outside edge.

Starting at the top of the roof and continuing down the left slope of the roof, make 1 sc in each stitch.  Make 2sc into the same stitch at the place where the roof meets the house and 3sc into the same stitch at each bottom corner of the house.



Make 2sc into the roof tip and finish off at the top of the house.

GREAT!  Now make a second house the same way.  Each bunting house requires two of these.

My bunting has 5 houses, so 10 house sides are needed.

Now, onto the heart.  I made all of my hearts in light pink.  I used this pattern here:

SALT for the spirit: Itty bitty crochet heart tutorial

For my bunting I needed 5 hearts.  Stitch the heart to the right side of 5 house parts.  The back doesn't need to look neat because it won't show.



Once the houses and hearts are complete and the hearts are sewn on, it's time to join the two house parts.  Put two house parts wrong sides together and tuck in any yarn tails.  They fit nicely right inside, no need to even clip them.


Single crochet the two house sides together.  Again, put 2sc into the stitch where the roof meets the house, 3sc into the stitch at the bottom corners of the house and make a (sc, ch3, sc) into the very tip of the house so that there is a bit of a loop at the top of the house - the loop is what you will use when you connect the houses to form a bunting.


Let's add the snow (tho. today, where I live, this would definitely be a layer of ICE on the roof - oh my the weather we are having here!  take a look at THIS POST to see photos).

To add the "ice" to the roof, I switched to a C sized hook and a very thin white cotton.  Poke the hook into the stitch just below the final edging and pull a loop of white thread thru.  Yarn over and pull through to attach the white.  Now, single crochet, ch 1, single crochet up one side of the roof top and down the other.  It did the stitching by starting on the right side of the roof just below where it meets the house, the right side is facing me.


When you get the to top of the house, stitch the white ice in front of the loop as you see in the photo below.

Next, weave in any remaining tails and get ready to join the houses.


I used the same pink yarn as the hearts to connect the bunting.

Make a slip knot and chain 15.  Slip stitch into the first chain to form a hanging loop.  Chain another 15, put the hook through the top loop of the first house.  Make 3sc into the roof top loop.  Chain 15 between each house and the next house.  Make 3sc into the top loop of each house.  After all the houses are attached, chain 30 and then slip stitch into the 15th chain from the hook to form the final hanging loop.  Weave in the ends of the bunting connector and TA DAH - find a lovely place to hang it up and enjoy it for Valentine's Day.

Remember, this is way more low calorie than the actual chocolate candy!


5 comments:

marmarel said...

Really nice idea! Yesterday I saw your other tutorial, the colored houses, love them too!
Greetings, Marijke

Sher said...

Marmarel - thanks for your visit and kind comments. I headed over to your blog and found lots of lovely things there - I've added you to my daily blog reads! Thanks. Sher

Anonymous said...

Sweet houses in every way.

Amy at love made my home said...

These are beautiful Sher!! You are right too, they are much lower calorie than actual chocolate! So pretty and you know of course that I love the hearts!! xx

Natas Nest said...

Wonderful!! ♥ Literally sweet :-). Thanks for the great tutorial!
Greetings, Nata

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...