Saturday, November 9, 2013

Poinsettias: A Crochet Tutorial

Finally, there is enough sun out that I was able to re-create and photograph the step by step process of making a crochet poinsettia.  I've put together this little tutorial for you - I hope you enjoy it!


Last year, I looked all over blogland and pinterest in hopes of finding a crochet poinsettia tutorial.  But, although I did find some pretty ones, I just couldn't find the one that I pictured in my head.  I did find ONE pattern that looked something like what I was envisioning but the pattern required me to make MANY many parts and then hook them all together (like over 15 parts ugh).  I wanted something simpler and with fewer parts.  The pattern I came up with has three parts.  The red part is the poinsettia bloom.  The green part is the poinsettia greenery and the white part is the poinsettia middle.  I borrowed the pattern for the middle from another blog.  The red and the green part I created myself.

The parts can be made in any order.  For this tutorial, I'm starting with the red part (the flower).  You are welcome to experiment with colors of course.  I have seen poinsettias in a variety of colors.  They bloom in all shades of red, pink and white!

Begin EITHER with a magic adjustable ring OR chain 3 (or 4) and join w/ a slip stitch.

Round 1: Into your ring ch1. Make *2sc then ch2. Repeat from * five more times.  After the last ch2, join with a slip stitch to close the round.  If you have used a magic ring, pull the tail to close.

The photo above shows the magic ring start for round 1.  The bumps are the ch2 spaces.

In the next round we will make 6 flower petals.

Round 2: into the first ch2 space, *work the following stitches (sc, dc, tr, picot3, tr, dc, sc)**.  One petal made. Work the instruction from * to ** into every ch2 space.  (6 petals total for the round).  Join round with slip stitch.  Finish off.

Here is how the flower looks with one complete petal.

Here is how the flower looks with all the petals completed.

Voila!  The red flower part of your poinsettia is done - lickety split.  How fast and easy was that?

Next.  Let's make the green leafy part of the flower.

Get out your green yarn.

To begin the leaf part either make a magic ring or ch 3 (or 4) and join with a slip stitch.

Round 1: ch1, make 6sc into the ring.  If you used the magic ring, pull the tail to close.  

Round 2: ch1, make 2sc into each stitch from round 1 (12 stitches) and join with slip stitch.

Round 3:  *ch3, sk 1, sc into next stitch. Repeat from * to end of round and slip stitch to join.  You now have 6 chain3 spaces.  These spaces are where we will form the leaf petals.

Peform all of the following stitches into the first ch3 space (sc, hdc, dc, 2tr, picot3, 2tr, dc, hdc, sc).  I find that I need to "scooch" the stitches over to the right after making the second tr.  This helps to make room for the rest of the stitches on the ch3 loop.  Also, unlike the picot3 on the red part, I like to make the picot3 on the leaf part by making 3 chains and then slip stitching into the first chain made.

Work these stitches into every chain3 space in the round (sc, hdc, dc, 2tr, picot3, 2tr, dc, hdc, sc).

Slip stitch to join the round and finish off.  Poinsetta leaf part done!

Ta dah!  Leaf part with 6 leaf petals.

Upon assembly, the red flower petals will sit atop the green leaf petals like this:

To create the white ball for the middle of the flower, I used the little crochet ball pattern from Lucy at Attic24.  Lucy used the balls to decorate/trim her super fun lamp.  I thought the balls would be the perfect middles for my poinsettia.

Go HERE TO SEE THE CROCHET BALL PATTERN.

Here is a photo of the little balls from Lucy's blog:

IMG_6065

When you visit her blog post, look for this photo of the little balls.  You will find her written pattern explanation of how to make them right below the photo.  While you're over at Attic24, look around a bit.  Lucy has many, many lovely patterns and beautiful photos and stories about crochet.

To attach the parts of the crochet flower together, I first wove in the end where I finished off the yarn.  I used the tail from where I started the yarn and pulled it thru from one flower part to the other thus hooking them all together.

You will end up with three yarn tails on the underside of the flower when all three parts are connected.  I gave them a little tie with a knot to hold them together.  Depending on what you plan to do with the poinsettia motif, you may want to weave in all the ends but I left them dangling for now as I may use some of the poinsettias to attach to other projects and if so, I may use the tails to stitch or weave them.

I plan to use one or maybe two of my poinsettias as gifts and will make them into brooches.  I already have birthday gift plans for the brooch (tho. I should have already completed and mailed the gift before today)! Better late than never I suppose.

The poinsettias can be made in any size.  The sample in the tutorial was made with three colors of Dishie Yarn from Knit Picks.  The dishie yarn is a light worsted, 100% cotton yarn.

Here is the finished sample poinsettia.

I made a bigger poinsettia with this acrylic yarn.  It's a thicker worsted weight.  I will probably want to steam the acrylic version into a bit flatter of a motif.

For this poinsettia, I played around with the idea of making a FIVE petal leaf part instead of the SIX petal leaf part.  I prefer the one with SIX leaf petals.

For the third poinsettia, I went a bit smaller.

I used this carpet warp cotton.  You can read all about my carpet warp yarn on this post.

So what do you think - is it time yet for poinsettias where you live?

I am feeling a bit of a holiday tug with my crochet.  I still have lots of autumn and Thanksgiving ideas I'd like to create, but I feel like the holidays are already looming.  Though it's been cold here, I've managed to do without the heat as of yet.  I've been piling on extra layers in the house and drinking warm beverages to compensate.  We just had the chimney cleaned out, so we are ready for the fireplace!

Hope you enjoyed my poinsettia tutorial.  Let me know if you make any of your own.


I may put a pdf download of this pattern on Ravelry - but that will have to wait for another day... too much work (real work) to do today!!!

Enjoy - Sher

20 comments:

Amjaylou said...

This is such a well written tutorial - I'm going to make some of these. They are fab. Have you thought about getting them on Tangled Happy? - you should do! X

Amjaylou said...

Hi Sher - If you go to the website and scroll down you'll find a link on the left hand side of the page called Be Featured (it's under the translator bar). You're literally an email away - it's that easy! These would look lovely on a Xmas wreath. Thanks for your lovely comments about my hat. I'm going to read your christmas presents 2012 post now. Good luck!! X

busybusybeejay said...

Thanks for the pattern.Really easy to follow.I am making them for on my Xmas wreath.

Lisa said...

This was a great pattern and I really appreciated the pictures to follow along with. It's simple, pretty and I'm planning on making several into hair pins (with a bobby pin?) for favours in homemade Christmas crackers. Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

Awesome tutorial! thank you for this! I also see snowflakes in the pattern and I have been looking for a pattern to make some coasters and I am thinking the leaves will do just fine for that project! This is my first time here but I will be back! If you want to visit me I am at http://brendasbric-a-brac.blogspot.com/

Amjaylou said...

Told you they were fab - well done! X

Silvia said...

tahnk you very much!!!!. It's a lovely tutorial!!!

darlene said...

Thanks for the tutorial!! I was trying to find a nice pointy-ended flower petal this morning, and this one does quite well. Thank you!!

Julie "Dakota" said...

Featured you here, on my blog: http://kotascrochetcreations.blogspot.com/2013/12/on-seventeenth-day-of-christmas.html

(Sorry this notice is a bit late, but I forgot to let you know!)

Unknown said...

The only patterns I've been able to find for poinsettas that actually look like poinsettias are knit ones, so thank you for this.

Anonymous said...

Very thankful you posted this. I also could not find a pointsetta I was happy with. Yours is perfect. Thank you for the awesome tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Hello Sher,
Found your site this morning while looking for a poinsettia pattern to crochet. Thank you so much for the great tutorial pattern, it is perfect.
Also, I was thrilled to read about 8/4 carpet warp. I have crocheted as long as I can remember and I had never heard of this weight.
It sounds just perfect for some projects I want to try.
Will be ordering some later today probably from the Camilla Valley Farm site.
So sorry about your experience with the Maysville brand not being colorfast.
Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.
Anna

Anonymous said...

Thank you soo much for this; much easier than making petals to sew together later :); will be making lots!!! Christmas is just around the corner,

Unknown said...

Love your poinsettia! It was the perfect topper i was searching for to finish off my Chrismas hand/fingertip towels. Thanks so much ☺

Unknown said...

Love your poinsettia! It was the perfect topper i was searching for to finish off my Chrismas hand/fingertip towels. Thanks so much ☺

Unknown said...

I would do five yellow knots in the center. Looks more like the real thing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I was looking for a poinsettia-style embellishment for a Christmas hat, and this was the perfect starting point. I adapted it a bit by making the larger flower first, and then using the skipped chains to make the petals of the smaller flower, instead of making a separate layer and joining them. It worked out very nicely indeed.

Melanie said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I also found the one with 15 parts and I was displeased with the outcome. Yours is perfect! You can see it here <3 https://www.instagram.com/p/BqbA1khnxf-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=14t3pm7ipsqxy

Unknown said...

I am definitely going to try your pictorial for a poinsettia! Tomorrow!
This can be a very complicated little ornament to make but yours is so clear that I think it will be much easier!
Thank you so much!
Nina

Letizia Diaz Magaña said...

Están hermosas alguien de aquí me ayuda con la traducción de los puntos porfavor por ejemplo:dc, 2tr, picot3, 2tr, dc, hdc, sc).muchas gracias saludos desde chiaoas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...