Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bunting Birthday Bunting

Garland Greetings about this Birthday Bunting.  The bunting isn't birthday themed but it was a birthday gift.  It's my first ever crocheted garland and it won't be the last.  It was a gift - so it's gone off to it's new home, but I will make myself a bit of hanging hooking goodness somewhat soon - because it seems like springtime and happy crocheted buntings go hand in hand, right?

I am amassing a stack of crochet books.  Eye candy they are. 

I was perusing THIS book



when I came across a square motif that made me SURE it wanted to become a string of bunting squares.

The square is called daisy chain and the book shows it in a variety of color combinations but I imagined it in just a single color.  Several squares in just single colors all hooked together that is.  So I started right in.


I can't reprint the pattern - copyrights you know.  But you can buy the book - or maybe borrow it from the library and create the pattern from its source.

I decided to use Aunt Lydia's crochet cotton - size 3.  I wanted a cotton, and I needed something rather thin as this motif is a bit big when crocheted with DK or Worsted.  My finished square was somewhere between 4 and 5 inches with the size 3.  I used a 2.75mm hook - size C.  I wanted to use a 2.5 but haven't been able to find one.



I was going to stop there but thought it needed a bit more than the squares so I found THIS pattern.


I made this flower using 4 colors of good ole Aunt Lydia.  The pattern goes through the 3rd color but I added a final row of single crochet in blue around the petals, dipping down to the next row at the end of each petal section with a long single crochet.

I decided to put one of these fancy flowers at each end of the bunting.

I looked at it laid out across the floor, the squares and the fancy flowers.  It needed more.  I searched for a simpler flower and couldn't find anything I liked, so I made one up.



Since this pattern is my own, I can offer it to you.  I don't often write my own patterns - so I hope the directions are clear.

Definitions:
2DB(2 double bobble) = leave last loop of each stitch on hook, work 2dc into ring, yo, pull through all remaining loops on hook.

3DB (3 double bobble) = leave last loop of each stitch on hook, work 3dc into ring, yo, pull through all remaining loops on hook. 

The Pattern

Starting Ring: Chain 6 and join with sl,st.

Round 1: 
Chain 2, 2DB (see above) in ring. [4ch, 3DB into ring] x7 (8 bobbles in all).  Chain 4, sl st to top of 1st bobble.

Round 2:
[1sc, 1hdc, 1dc, 1htr, 1tr, 1htr, 1dc, 1hdc, 1sc into 4 chain space] x8.  sl st into1st sc of the round. Tie off.  Work in ends.

For my bunting, I made 2 square motifs each in 3 different colors (blue, pink, yellow).
I then added a center square motif in purple but I wanted it to be a bit bigger so I used the same cotton yarn/thread but traded off for a size E crochet hook.  It did the trick.

I also made 2 flowers (my pattern) each in the same 3 colors (blue, pink, yellow)

I made 2 of the fancy flowers.

To crochet them all together, I wanted a long strand that was a bit heavier than just a chain.

I found this photo from Lucy, the Queen of Crochet at Attic24



SO.... I chained 10, then crocheted in the first chain from the hook to create a chain ring for hanging.  then, I chained A LOT....  I'm sorry that I didn't count.  I laid all the motifs out on the floor with about 4-6" between each one and then added about 10" to each end... it was a lot of chains.



Long Strand round 2 was single crochet in each of the chains. 
Long Strand round 3 was more  single crochets and this time I attached the motifs.



To attach a motif, I tied little strings of yarn to the long strand to mark where I should attach each one.  The flowers are attached in only one place but the squares are attached in 3 places.  When I got to my little yarn marker, I crochet down 2 chains, attached the motif with a single crochet and then crocheted back UP the 2 chains.  Then, I continued along my row.  I did this until all the motifs were connected.  I didn't take photos as I went tho. I wish I had -sorry.



I took photos of the garland both indoors and out.  I love the square motif and how it makes happy little spots of shadowy goodness when the sun hits it.  Enjoy the splendor!



6 comments:

Jeannie said...

And it's GORGEOUS!! A true work of art. Love it!

Athena said...

Hi - found you at Sew Many Ways. I am stopping by from TheStuffofSuccess and I am glad I found you. Feel free to stop on by and say hello. I am also your newest follower. Thanks and have a great week. Athena

Fiona Skye said...

How pretty! The different shapes and colours look wonderful together and it's given me an idea for a bunting I'm making for a friend's baby girl's nursery.

Pamela said...

I have that book and a bunch of motifs I have crocheted to test, now I know what I can do with them! A bunting, thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors you chose, and your buntings are just so whimsical and fun!
Found you through Sarahndipities - would love for you to come by for a visit!

Wendy said...

this is just lovely! thanks for the pattern,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...